/ / Franciscan monastery and Church of the assumption of the virgin Mary

Franciscan monastery and Church of the assumption of the virgin Mary

Photos and description

At the end of the street Langovoy, which can be accessed from the main square of Samobor, is the monastery complex of the Franciscans, the most popular structure which is the Church of the assumption of the virgin Mary. The current sacred structure was built on the site of the former chapel of St. Mary, which laid the Hungarian-Croatian king Bela IV in 1242. This chapel still exists. It was embedded in a modern temple and is the oldest building in Samobor.

The Franciscan monastery complex was built from 1721 to 1735. In those days he was outside the city walls. An old monastery in whose territory was the ancient chapel of St. Mary's, was burned in 1640. The new monastery was a garden and in 1717 there is a fountain which still exists today. High bell tower was built a little later near the building of the temple.

Church of the assumption of the virgin Mary decorated in the Baroque style. It contains several valuable works of art. For example, in the apse of the Church you can see a large mural of famous Croatian painter Franz Eloveka "assumption" written in 1752. In the side chapels are lush, wooden, polychrome a late-Gothic altars, dedicated to St. Jan Nepomucene, Holy Cross and St. Joseph. They are decorated with the works of artist Valentin Metzinger - one of the finest masters of the Baroque in Croatia. He assisted in the decoration of the Church from 1734 to 1735.

In the library of the monastery are kept in the Church books of the XVI-XIX centuries, three incunabula and ornate ecclesiastical vessels.