/ / Franciscan monastery and Church of STS. Philip and James

Franciscan monastery and Church of STS. Philip and James

Photos and description

Franciscan monastery and Church of STS. Philip and James, situated on a high plateau on the banks of the Danube in the old part of Vukovar. The first stone in the Foundation of the Church dedicated to the apostles Philip and Jacob, was laid in 1723. The construction of the Church ended 10 years later, in 1733, and the convent was completed in 1736. Later the Church was rebuilt and restored.

In 1896-1897 underwent extensive renovation and expansion of the monastery and the Church under the leadership of the Viennese architect Richard Yordano. After the expansion, the Church bought a length of 58 meters, making it the third in Croatia after Zagreb Makovskogo and cathedrals.

The monastery and Church are typical buildings in the style of "Baroque Maria Theresa", widespread in continental Croatia.

During the Serbian aggression, the Church and the monastery was badly damaged, as were more than 3,000 air strikes. Most of the values were saved by the Franciscans outside of Croatia.