/ / Lisak Tower

Lisak Tower

Photos and description

Built in the XVI century tower lisak was part of the Northern sector of the defensive system of the city of varaždin. This town, built on the river Drava, in the fourteenth century, was turned into a fortified military centre, is able to withstand any enemy. In the XV century fortifications of varaždin have been strengthened, and the city turned into a virtually impregnable fortress. These efforts of the city Council were not in vain: Varazdin successfully resisted Turkish invasions of the XVI century. Over time, the need for city walls, limiting the growth of the city, disappeared. They partially dismantled in the XIX century. From the past military grandeur of varaždin survived two towers, which was part of the city gates. One of them is tower lisak, named after its last owner. The attentive tourist will notice about her the remnants of the fortress walls, which harmoniously fit into the surrounding buildings. Lisak tower located on gaevoy the street. The second survived the destruction of tower is called Lanciano. You can find this on Stanciceva square.

Powerful two-story stone structure, built in the Gothic style and crowned with a conventional tiled roof, is too distracting from a number of neighbouring houses. Although he was in her history a period when it was turned into an ordinary residential building. It happened in 1773. Then the architect Jacob Herbert rebuilt it at the request of the city authorities. Spacious rooms on each floor was divided into apartments. Currently, the tower houses furniture store. A tour of the building one will not hold, but to go to the store to see at least one room of the first floor converted into a retail space.