/ / The Limassol fortress

The Limassol fortress

Photos and description

Two hundred meters from the old port at the southern tip of Palm promenade is a fortress. Once upon a time this place was a Byzantine fortification, while in the chapel in 1191, married the English king Richard the Lionheart and Berengaria of Navarre. The current fortress was built in the early fourteenth century during the Lusignan. It was rebuilt in 1570 the Turks invaded the island. In the middle of the last century the fortress was reconstructed, the British, under which, since 1940, she was used as a prison and military headquarters. In 1974 migrated to the fortress exhibits the Nicosia Museum of the middle ages, the building of which was in the buffer zone separating Greek and Turkish.