/ / Cathedral of Agia NAPA

Cathedral of Agia NAPA

Photos and description

One of the most famous and visited Orthodox churches of Limassol Cathedral of Agia NAPA, located in a respectable residential centre and shopping area of the city, is a perfect example of the mixture of several architectural styles, as well as Greek and Byzantine traditions.

The history of the Cathedral started in 1903. It was then built by the project of the Greek architect Papadakis on the site of an old Byzantine Church, built in 1740. A large white building of the Cathedral, standing to the right of the houses, immediately catches the eye. Outside the Cathedral looks quite simple and restrained, in spite of the abundance of small detail, openwork lattices, narrow Windows with stained glass, delicate patterns of stucco and stone carving. On both sides of the entrance are two large square towers, and the roof surmounted by a neat dome. But inside this Cathedral impresses visitors with its magnificent decoration and trim - massive columns, high arches, decorated with gilded stucco, colorful frescoes. One of the main values of the Cathedral is the icon, which depicts Jesus Christ surrounded by the twelve apostles, she is completely is hand embroidered with silk threads and decorated with touches of Golden lace. Despite the fact that the icon was created not so long ago, but it was a work of art, has already become quite famous.

But the most popular among the believers and mere tourists is the Cathedral of Agia NAPA acquired through the stored relics - the miraculous icon of the virgin Mary and the belt of the virgin.