/ / Famagusta Gate

Famagusta Gate

Photos and description

One of the attractions of Nicosia are its city walls, which are also called "Venetian" because they were built by the Venetians in 1567 to defend the city. On the territory of Nicosia was accessed through one of three main gates the largest of which was considered the Gate of Famagusta. They were originally named "Port Giuliano" in honor of the architect Giulio Savorgnano, the project of which they were created. It is through these gates to the city came travelers from the East part of the island. Outside this entrance does not look impressive - the gate in the wall near the Bastion Caraffa have a fairly modest size. However, these unsightly gates lead into a large room that is a corridor, long and wide, formed by high fortified walls, and rests on the larger and more massive inner gates. The dome roof had several holes, providing illumination, although very weak. Also in this room there was a place where was located the tent - in her tired travelers could buy food and drinks.

What is remarkable: after Nicosia was captured by the Ottomans through these gates pass on horseback was entitled only to the Turks, while the Christians and the foreigners had to pass through the gate on foot. In addition, the Giuliano Port was closed on Fridays - the Holy day for Muslims, when guardians of the gates had to pray.

Famagusta gate is well preserved to our days. After a small restoration, since 1980-ies, this area is located cultural center. In addition, they sometimes hold a ceremony in honor of major holidays and a variety of exhibitions.