/ / The Church Of Faneromeni

The Church Of Faneromeni

Photos and description

Not far from the so-called "green mile" - an imaginary line that divides the capital Nicosia into Greek and Turkish parts, is the Church of Faneromeni, which is one of the most important shrines of the island. Different sources name different dates of construction of this Church, but it is known that it appeared during the reign of Cyprus of the Lusignan.

The temple was part of a major female monastery, named in honor of Panagia Faneromeni. It is considered that the place of its construction was miraculously discovered a unique icon of the virgin, which gave the name to the monastery and the Church - the word "mountains" means "manifested".

When Cyprus seized the Turkish troops, the monastery of Faneromeni wanted to turn into a mosque, as happened with many Christian churches on the island. However, for some reason all imams of the new mosque soon after his appointment he died. Because of this, after some time the Turks refused from the idea to reconstruct the monastery into a mosque and returned to his Christian community.

Subsequently, the Phaneromeni Church was almost completely rebuilt from the old building is almost nothing left. Now, this temple is considered one of the centers of Christianity in the island. The icon, which gave the name of the Church and once kept in it, was later transferred to the Byzantine Museum of the Archbishop Makarios III. And in the temple at the moment is a copy, written in 1924. Only a few days once a year, the original icons return back to the temple to conduct Liturgy in honor of the blessed virgin.

In addition, another attraction of this place is carved iconostasis depicting scenes from the old Testament, which was made in 1659. The walls of the temple decorated with colorful paintings.

Also near the Church is a small marble mausoleum where the remains of those killed by the Turks the Christian priests and bishops, including Archbishop Kyprianos.