/ / The archaeological Museum of Nicosia

The archaeological Museum of Nicosia

Photos and description

The archaeological Museum, which is located in the heart of Nicosia, is the oldest and largest Museum in Cyprus. It stores all the most valuable archaeological finds that were discovered on the island.

The institution was founded in 1882 during the British rule in Cyprus on the initiative of the inhabitants of the island. The reason that prompted Cypriots to unite and file a petition for the creation of the Museum were several cases of illegal excavation, resulting in the values found there, was exported abroad. So, for example, about 35 thousand antiquities were sent to museums in Britain and the US after the excavations conducted by the American archaeologist Luigi Palma di Cesnola. In addition, a significant part of the found items were damaged during transportation.

The Museum was built with private funds of residents and originally did not even have their own premises. And only in 1908, construction began on the building where the Museum collection is currently.

First official excavations were conducted only European (mostly British) scientists. It was then, in the period from 1880 to 1931, were collected the main part of the Museum. But after gaining of the independence of Cyprus in 1960, the activity of the local archaeologists, who also put a lot of effort for the collection of this institution.

The Museum has 14 exhibition halls, where you can see ceramic, glass and stone articles, statues and figurines, dishes and vases, tools, coins and jewelry, are arranged in chronological order. These rooms are located around the main Central room, where the auxiliary offices, a library and a laboratory.