/ / The count's gate

The count's gate

Photos and description

Massive Count's gate (Puerta del Conde) was once part of the fortification that surrounded the neighborhoods of Santo Domingo. Gates are located in the Count's Bastion (El Baluarte del Conde). Behind them starts to Independence Park, which has another local landmark - the altar of the Fatherland. These gates served as the backdrop during the Declaration of independence of the Dominican Republic. Over them in 1844 for the first time in history was raised the national flag.

Puerta del Conde was built in 1543 at the same time with Bastion, which in those days was called San Genaro, to protect the city from pirate attacks. Through the gate it was possible to enter the territory of the city. The current name of this building received in 1655, after the commander of the Spanish garrison in Santo Domingo, don Bernardino de Meneses, Bracamonte and Zapata, count of (Spanish Conde) de Penalba. This outstanding man was able to organize a defense against the British who tried to seize the city.

By the XVIII century fortification system of Santo Domingo was improved. The walls are strengthened, and they built several watchtowers. The Puerta del Conde began to be used as West passage in the colonial part of the city.

In 1976, when the Park hosted a construction of the white marble of the Altare della Patria, Puerta del Conde was reconstructed. Supervised repair work of the famous architect Cristian martínez Villanueva, the author of the Altar of the Fatherland.

Currently above the arched passageway of the gate you can see the motto in Latin, which translated means: "Sweet and glorious death for the Motherland". Above the gate is a small bell, and before them are two small cannon.