/ / Greco-Roman Museum

Greco-Roman Museum

Greco-Roman Museum was founded in 1892. The first collection placed in a five-room apartment, in one small building in Rosetta street (later renamed Avenue of Canopy, the current Horria). In 1895 the congregation moved to another building near Gamal Abdel Nasser street.

The Museum contains a few items Dating from the Ptolemaic period, 3rd century BC, such as sculptures of APIs of black granite, mummies, sarcophagus, tapestries, and other objects of Greco-Roman civilization, closely associated with ancient Egypt. The Museum's collection appeared and replenished thanks to donations from wealthy Alexandrians as well as from archaeological excavations under the guidance of specialized institutions, held both within the city and its surroundings. Some of the artifacts were transferred to the Organization of antiquities at Cairo (particularly, objects of the reign of the pharaohs) and from different search expeditions carried out in the beginning of the century in the Fayoum and Benhasa.

Today 27 halls of the Museum housed in a historic building with a beautiful neoclassical facade of six columns. The complex is surrounded by a beautiful garden that also provides insight into the traditions of landscape architecture of the Greco-Roman period.

For several years now the Museum is being renovated, the work schedule should check with the travel Agency.