/ / The Church Of Espoo

The Church Of Espoo

Photos and description

Old stone Church was built in 1458 at the meanders of the river Espoo. In those days the stone Church served as a refuge during invasions and unrest.

The original Church was built in the shape of a rectangle with three naves and retains this appearance until the 1820-ies, when the extension of the Church it was rebuilt. For centuries the Church has undergone several restorations, one of the largest in the 1930-years (led by Professor Armas Lindgren), when her old appearance was restored.

The last time the repair of a temple was done in 1982, when the altar of the Church was restored wooden sculpture "passion of Christ", who was many years in the collection of the National Museum. In the summer evenings there are organ concerts.