/ / Cathedral of Oulu

Cathedral of Oulu

Photos and description

Cathedral of Oulu is located in the heart of the city. This Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sophia Magdalena was built in 1777. as a tribute to king Gustav III of Sweden and named after his wife.

After a fire in 1822. a fire destroyed the wooden structures of the Cathedral. It was restored until 1845, when a bell tower was erected.

Inside the temple is an amazing beauty: pulpit for sermons, rows of benches, shelves with prayer books, the organ. Under the arch of the Church, directly over the heads of the congregation hanging the layout of the ship. This is an old tradition among sailors to give as a gift to the temple ship models, sometimes reaching 3 m in length. Thus, they Express gratitude to God for saving their lives from the blue abyss.