/ / The Church Of Tornio

The Church Of Tornio

Photos and description

The Church in Tornio old, well preserved wooden Church. It was built in 1886. and is considered one of the most beautiful in Finland. Architect Matti Herm dedicated to the construction of Queen Eleanor.

The high roof of the Church is covered with tiles. The bell tower is surrounded by five towers. In The XVIII-Th Century. the French scientist de Maupertuis did in Finnish Lapland measurements to determine the shape of our planet, based on the Church tower and the spire of the Church was used as one of the points of reference.

Visitors are attracted by the interior, with painted ceilings, carved wooden chairs and chandeliers made of brass.

To the North of the Church of Tornio is the water tower with an observation deck and café. The Church is open for visits in the summer. In other seasons of the year upon reservation.