/ / The Abbey of Noirlac, photo, description (Abbaye de Noirlac)

The Abbey of Noirlac, photo, description (Abbaye de Noirlac)

The Abbey of Noirlac located in the Department of cher, is one of the popular tourist route Jacques Coeur". Jacques Coeur had lived in the XV century, was a native of Bourges (Abbey is 50 km from it) and became one of the first capitalists of France. The Royal Treasurer, a successful industrialist and owner of a multimillion-dollar state (many even considered him an alchemist), Jacques Coeur, lent money to many high-ranking officials, and soon his debtors wanted to get rid of his creditor. He was accused of almost all mortal sins: poisoning Agnes Sorel, mistress of Charles VII, counterfeiting and treason. Jacques Coeur was expelled from France and died in exile. The route was developed in the middle of the last century and runs through the city, one way or another connected with the biography of Kera.

The Noirlac Abbey was founded in 1136 as one of the 66 children of the cloisters of the Abbey of Clairvaux, were the five most important monasteries of the Cistercian order. The founders of Noirlac became the monks of Clervaux. The current name of the monastery was only in the second half of the XIII century, and it was associated with one of the local lakes, which came to be called black (noir lac - black lake") after the death of the young son of a local landowner.

XIII century became the Abbey for a time of prosperity: the restoration took several buildings, the number of monks increased, the monastery owned land, mills and farms. But the following century began for the monastery a sequence of trials and hardships - it is not spared the events of the hundred years war, the ensuing Progeria (revolts of the feudal lords 1440). Input mode commandi also contributed to the prosperity of the monastery, then the already difficult situation of the monastery was aggravated by religious wars and conflicts of the times of the Fronde. In the XVIII century, the Noirlac Abbey, a chance for rebirth, but the beginning of the French revolution, after which the monastery was closed, sold to a private entity and turned into a factory for the production of porcelain. In 1860, the monastery received the status of historical monument, but remained a private property. In the early XX century it was bought by the government and conducted restoration.

Now in Noirlac is a Museum. In the monastery complex you can see the cloister with galleries, a Church with stained-glass Windows of the house of novices and other buildings.