/ / Senanque Abbey: photos, description (Abbaye Notre-Dame de Senanque)

Senanque Abbey: photos, description (Abbaye Notre-Dame de Senanque)

The monastery at sénanque is currently an active monastery. The monks returned to it in 1988, and in the beginning of this century lived in the monastery less than a dozen monks. The inhabitants of Senanga are engaged in cultivation of lavender, bee keeping, and receive pilgrims.

Monastery at sénanque was founded in 1148 by monks of the Cistercian order. Together with the abbeys of Thoronet and Silvacane at sénanque is among the most famous and beautiful monasteries of Provence. These three abodes are also known as "provençal sisters". The founder of the monastery at sénanque was made by al, the Bishop of Cavaillon - city, near which was built the monastery. The name of the monastery is consonant with the name of the river flowing nearby - Senancole.

In the XII century, the monastery grew rapidly and actively constructed in the second half of the century, it was consecrated the monastery Church. In XIII-XIV centuries the monastery was in the stage of flowering, was a large landowner, owned mills and silos and established a subsidiary of the monastery.

In the beginning of XVI century the monastery was under the regime of comendy, when the Abbey was ruled by a secular government appointed abbots, and almost all the revenue of the abbeys were in someone else's Treasury. From that time began a period of decline for Senanga. In the years of religious wars, the monastery was looted, and during the revolution, sold at auction to private individuals. Half a century later the monastery was purchased by the Cistercian order, but the monks lived there only until 1903, and then moved to Lerinskoe Abbey. Inhabiting now the monks at sénanque also subject LENINSKOMU Abbey.

The buildings of the monastery were awarded the status of historical monument in 1921. Most preserved buildings Dating from the XIII-XVII centuries. Among them - the scriptorium, the only heated room in the monastery, the refectory, the Chapter house, courtyard and dormitory.