/ / The Abbey of Saint-RUF,, (Abbaye de Saint-Ruf d'avignon)

The Abbey of Saint-RUF,, (Abbaye de Saint-Ruf d'avignon)

The Abbey of Saint-RUF is located on the street of Moulin Notre Dame in Avignon. This ancient, partially ruined structure. The ruins of the Abbey is recognized as a historical monument in 1887. The Abbey was a monastery of monks of the order of St. Augustine, which was founded in the XI century. The first mention of it appeared in 1039. As a result of the archaeological excavations revealed that the location of Avignon Abbey was originally the burial place of early Christians.

Under the patronage of the popes and of the counts of Barcelona, in the XII century the Abbey became one of the main foci of the Gregorian reform, the tenets of which have spread to all of Europe (the followers became Christians of the Iberian Peninsula, the Scandinavian countries, southern Germany, southern France). The influence of the Abbey grew with the establishment of a small monastic order of St. Rufus. Later, this order was transferred to valence. However, the fact that the value of this award was not too high, explains the rarity of the mention of the Abbey in the historical Chronicles.

The architecture of the Abbey is saved in full. The reason for that was the orders on the demolition, given the last Abbe and the subsequent destruction that resulted from the secularization of the order. The lower part of the bell tower is made of Sandstone, reinforced with hewn stone. The upper part of the bell tower built entirely of hewn stone. The choirs consist of a polygonal apse, around which are two semicircular Church chapel. The Central part is decorated with three semi-circular arches.