/ / The Abbey of Thoronet: photo description (Abbaye du Thoronet)

The Abbey of Thoronet: photo description (Abbaye du Thoronet)

Of the Cistercian monasteries of Provence, the Thoronet Abbey is distinguished by its architectural unity. This monastery was built, that is, at one time, and in later centuries was not rebuilt. Currently, the Abbey is not applicable and operates as a Museum. Together with Silvacane Abbey at sénanque and Thoronet is among the oldest and most beautiful monasteries of Provence, also called "the three provençal sisters."

Thoronet was founded by Cistercian monks in 1157. The monastery dates back to the Abbey Sieve line created subsidiary Boniva monastery, founded, in turn, the monastery of Mazan, where profit and the founders of the Thoronet. For the construction of the monastery was chosen as the location between Draguignan and Brignoles. Initially they founded the Abbey was not far from Thoronet, and then it was moved to its present location.

Construction work on the territory of the monastery was carried out in the second half of XII - early XIII century. At this time a Church was built and other facilities. The Thoronet Abbey was not crowded and very influential. However, it owned a lot of land on which converse convent bred cattle, and in ponds - fish. In the XIII century in Toron there were only 25 monks.

In the middle of the XIV century in the Provence of plague occurred, which is fairly "thin out" the population of the region and killed almost all the monks of Thoronet Abbey. To the XVI century, a large part of the monastic buildings already represented ruins, and divine service in the Church was held not every day. Religious wars have led Abbey to the final decline, subsequent attempts to restore it have been fruitless, and during the revolution all that remained were sold at auction.

In the XIX century in the fate of the ancient ruins intervened inspector prosper mérimée, who had made it to the list of historical monuments. In 1854 and in 1938 the buildings of the monastery in two steps was purchased by the government, bidders, began restoration of the Abbey. Now it is possible to visit the Church with adjoining hall of the Chapter and the cloister, built in the shape of a trapezoid, housing for conversos.