/ / Abbey of Fleury: photo description (Abbaye de Saint-Benoit-sur-Loire)

Abbey of Fleury: photo description (Abbaye de Saint-Benoit-sur-Loire)

Abbey of Fleury also known as Saint-benoît-de-Fleury and is located in the same location on the Loire. The Foundation of the monastery is considered the first half and middle of VII century. It was founded by the Benedictine monks, and the monastery became one of the first in the province.

Originally the monastery was dedicated to St. Peter, but in the second half of the VII century and its patron was St. Benedict. This change was connected with the finding of the relics of St. Benoit, which the monks in 672 brought from the Abbey Montecassino, destroyed about a hundred years ago the German tribe of the Lombards. Subsequently Montecassino tried to challenge the right to possess the remains of the Saint, but they still remained within the monastery of Fleury.

The rising popularity of the Abbey of Fleury was not only the relics of the Saint, which was on the bow numerous pilgrims, but also a school, founded in the tenth century by the Abbot Odon. The school lasted until the end of the XVIII century. The monastery had a scriptorium where monks copied books and created a rich library. In Fleury already was installed is still not the most common musical instrument - the organ.

In the IX century the monastery twice suffered from the attacks of the Normans, but was able to recover from them. In the beginning of XI century by the Abbe Gosselin began the construction of the monastery Church, which lasted until the beginning of the XIII century. The consecration of the Church took place in 1218.

From the XIII century the Abbey started to decline, helped by fires and wars Ancient and religious, as well as the mode of commenda. The "second birth", the monastery was felt with the arrival of the congregation of marystow in the first half of the XVIII century, which was built over the relics of St. Benedict mausoleum, restored and increase the library conducted a reconstruction of several buildings and a garden was planted.

But this brief period of prosperity ended with the beginning of the French revolution. The Abbey was closed, its famous library was moved to Orleans and Paris. Part of the buildings were dismantled. In the second half of the XIX century in the Abbey of returned monks, but was forced to leave again in 1903. Since 1944, the monastery was finally returned to the Church.