/ / The Abbey of Fontenay: photo description (Abbaye de Fontenay)

The Abbey of Fontenay: photo description (Abbaye de Fontenay)

Fontenay Abbey is now the property of the family of Einar. A banker from Lyon Edward Einar bought the Abbey from another private owner in 1906. Thanks to the participation of Einar, the Abbey was closed by a paper manufactory, and began restoration work. Today, access to the territory of the private ownership is allowed for tourists, however, are not open all the rooms of the monastery. In addition, it hosts various cultural events.

The name of this oldest Cistercian monastery got the name from the Creek of Fontenay, near which it was built. Today, the Abbey is located on the territory of the commune Marman Department of côte-d'or.

The founder of the monastery began in 1118 Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, who three years earlier founded the monastery of Clairvaux. A period of prosperity, during which there was active construction in the history of the monastery was the XII and XIII century. Part of the work was paid for hiding in the walls of the Abbey Harbard Bishop of Norwich, who in England were persecuted.

Under his auspices the Abbey of Fontenay was taken by the French kings John II, Charles VIII and Louis XII. Pope Alexander III recognized the monks of Fontenay the right of an independent choice of the prior. The Abbey was also exempt from taxes and had the status of a Royal.

The hundred years war interrupted the sequence of "fat" monastic years. The English king Edward the Third the monastery was destroyed at the end of the war the Abbey was a fire, and a hundred years later, they began to manage the rector appointed under the regime established in commenda. At the beginning of the XVIII century in the monastery there are less than a dozen monks, which could kept the house in a tight economy - they even had to dismantle the now-redundant refectory.

The French revolution declared the Abbey national property, then sold it to industrialist Claude Hugo, who opened the production of paper. In the XIX century the factory was sold to the family Montgolfier - the same one that gave the world the famous aeronauts.

In the second half of the last century, the Abbey received the status of world heritage of UNESCO. The monastery complex includes the Church of the XII century, well-preserved cloister, Chapter room, scriptorium and dormitory, as well as the forge, which in the Middle ages was the workshop of the stonemasons.