/ / Abbey Fonfroide: photos, description (Abbaye Sainte-Marie de Fontfroide)

Abbey Fonfroide: photos, description (Abbaye Sainte-Marie de Fontfroide)

Abbey Fonfroide (full name is the Abbey of the blessed virgin Mary in Fonfroide) is one of the largest wine centres of the Languedoc in the past, so it remains in our days.

With XI and at the beginning of the XX century the monastery belonged to the Catholic Church, and is now a private property. The Abbey was founded by Benedictine monks in 1093, but a few decades later it was transferred to the monks of the Cistercian order which at that time grew and expanded. Even a few years later, in 1157, the monastery was donated large parcels of land, and closer to the end of the century began the construction of new monastic buildings. Along with conducting extensive economic activities of the monastery, in parallel, strengthened its position in the religious life of the region and quickly became the largest of its centre.

The prosperity of the Abbey continued until the mid XIV century until the plague is not wiped out most of its inhabitants. In the second half of the XV century the monastery and its few inhabitants came under the regime of commenda - came under the control of another spiritual person, who got all the revenues from the "assets" of the Abbey.

During the great French revolution, the property of the monastery was supposed to go under the hammer, but wanting to buy these buildings was not found, therefore the owner of the Abbey became a state. In the monastery until 1833, housed the hospital ward. In the mid-nineteenth century it had a restoration and returned it to a small Cistercian community.

In 1862, the monastery was accorded the status of a historical monument, and in 1901 it was finally closed. The new owner of the monastery was the artist Gustave Fayet, who not only arranged in this exhibition, but also involved in the restoration of its historic appearance. Today the monastery is owned by his heirs. Fayette and his successors literally saved the monument from destruction and looting.

Currently, the monastery runs a small winery that produces red and white wines also a restaurant, tasting room and shop, and to visit this complex, everyone can.