/ / Angles-sur-l Anglin: photos, description (Angles-sur-l Anglin)

Angles-sur-l Anglin: photos, description (Angles-sur-l Anglin)

Angles-sur-l Anglin is a beautiful old village in the West of France, located in the region of Poitou - Charentes. It is included in the Association "Most beautiful villages of France". It is home to at least 400 people.

The place has managed to keep intact since the Middle ages. From buildings of the era remained half-ruined castle 1025, originally served as the residence of the bishops of Poitiers. To him across the river, Anglen is an old bridge, which, however, is only a copy of the bridge of the XI century and was built in 1741. Also preserved the main Church of the medieval Abbey of the Holy cross, built simultaneously with the fortress.

The fate of one of the seniors of Guichard IV, the hero of the hundred years war. He fought on the side of the French king John II the Good in the battle of Poitiers, which the French lost. The king was captured, and the team became the servant of his enemy, the famous Edward the Black Prince. However, he could not adequately Express themselves in a new field: as a result, he even was appointed guardian of her son Edward, the future English king Richard II. Subsequently, the team became a knight of the Garter, the highest chivalric order in England.

Before the start of the religious wars of the XVI century the village of Angles-sur-l Anglin was an important strategic point, but in the years 1567-1571 it was captured by the Huguenots led by Admiral Coligny. However, despite the subsequent looting, the town was able to restore its economic position to the beginning of the Fronde in 1648 was an important trading centre, where he held frequent fairs. Then about a century the area was in ruins. The French revolution was welcomed here with enthusiasm, therefore, Angles-sur-l Anglin managed to avoid further destruction.

The village began to enjoy wide popularity among the upper strata of society during the so-called "Belle époque" (Belle Époque) - in the pre-war years of the early twentieth century. Then there was all the necessary work that to preserve the unique look of the place.