/ / Archaeological Museum of Rouen: photo description (Musee départemental des antiquites)

Archaeological Museum of Rouen: photo description (Musee départemental des antiquites)

The first exhibits in the collection of the Museum of archaeology of Rouen became the finds made on the territory of the commune Lillebonne - in ancient times there was located a Gallic settlement, conquered by the Romans and named Olibanum. Since the opening of the Museum in 1831, his collection has expanded considerably and now includes exhibits covering a huge period of history Upper Normandy: from the bronze age to the Renaissance.

The Museum is housed in a former monastery of the female order of visitants, buildings which were built in the late XVII - early XVIII century. During the revolution, the monastery Church was destroyed, and half a century later the whole monastery complex was declared a monument of history.

The Museum presents the lives of people living in Upper Normandy at different times and through things of those times you can get an idea about the prehistoric period, the Gallo-Roman era or about the era of the Merovingians.

Medieval times and the Renaissance is here presented primarily through the works of applied art, which then developed rapidly as in the whole of France and in the region. Norman masters left behind numerous filigree jewelry, ivories, enamelled trinkets, sculptures, tapestries and stained glass paintings.

After carrying out work on the improvement of Rouen in the nineteenth century, the Museum was transferred to the fragments of the wooden architectural structures and interior decoration of luxury apartments once the XV-XVI centuries.

In addition, the archaeology Museum of Rouen can be seen items from private collections that were donated to the Museum in the nineteenth and last centuries. In these collections were collected the items of the ancient Greek and ancient Egyptian origin, and now they can see everyone.