/ / The archaeological Museum of Saintes: photo description (Musee archeologique de Saintes)

The archaeological Museum of Saintes: photo description (Musee archeologique de Saintes)

French town St is located in the seaside district of the Poitou - Charentes region, West of the centre of the country. The city has preserved much medieval architecture, designed in the Romanesque style, but its history goes further back in time: before there was a major Gallic settlement. It is not surprising that Senta was founded a large archaeological Museum.

It happened in 1815, and in 1931 the Museum was located on its present location in the building of the former municipal slaughterhouse. This room was chosen: located near the ceiling and small Windows contribute to the refraction of the incident light to the desired angle, thereby creating the Museum in perfect light. And the first exhibits can be found in the courtyard and at the entrance to the Museum - there is the leading alley surrounded by ancient columns III century, which was part of the old city walls.

The main part of the exhibition also consists of former fortifications of the III-IV centuries. Interestingly, Roman temples and palaces of those times was destroyed, and the rest of the stone went into the construction of new buildings, while the old fortress wall, though rebuilt several times in the Middle ages, stood until the eighteenth century.

In addition, the Museum presents a collection of Roman art found during archaeological excavations of the XIX-XX centuries. Among the artifacts it is worth noting sculptures and statuettes, differing in size and degree of preservation. Many of them are deprived of the head, or, on the contrary, constitute one only head of the ancient God. It is believed that one of these statues symbolizes the river goddess personifying the river Charente, which flows in the region. There are also columns or separately preserved capitals, gravestones, items used in funeral ceremonies, the remains of ancient mosaics, the details of the Roman chariot of the first century. Since 2008 the Museum has one permanent exhibition, telling about the everyday life of the Gallo-Romans.