/ / Basilica of our lady of the Edge of the Earth: photos, description Basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres)

Basilica of our lady of the Edge of the Earth: photos, description Basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres)

In XVIII-XIX centuries the Basilica of Soulac-sur-Mer stood, being buried under a layer of sand. The Church building was given by the inhabitants of the advancing sand dunes. Over the waves of sand stood only the top of the bell tower. Dunes, having the ability to move around the wind, filled the Church almost completely, then slightly away, revealing her upper level. The salvation of the Basilica from its sandy prison was undertaken in the mid-nineteenth century. Clearing and restoration of the building lasted till 1905.

Construction of the Basilica began in the XI century. Through Soulac-sur-Mer took the path of pilgrims, EN route to the Spanish city of Santiago de Compostela, the relics of St. James. Therefore, the Church under construction was intended primarily for them. The name "Notre-Dame on the Edge of the Earth" the Church was due to its location near the Cape of Graves, which is the Northern extremity of the Peninsula of Medoc.

Construction and reconstruction of the Church was carried out in the following centuries, up to the commissioning of the temple captured the dunes. In the fourteenth century changed the level of sex, and in the XVI remade the facade and bell-tower. In the eighteenth century from the part of the Sulak, which was hidden by sand, the residents moved to another place and to the East actually founded a new city.

In the apse of the Basilica in the middle of the last century was installed a new stained-glass Windows, and in 1998 the Church was declared a UNESCO world heritage site as one of the temples located on the way of St. James. In Soulac-sur-Mer Basilica is recognized as the city's main attraction.