/ / The Basilica of Notre-Dame-de-Victoire: photos, description Basilique Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)

The Basilica of Notre-Dame-de-Victoire: photos, description Basilique Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)

The Basilica of Notre-Dame-de-Victoire located on the same street North of the New bridge and Rue de Rivoli. This is one of the five churches of the Archdiocese of Paris, with the honorary status of minor Basilica.

The origins of the Basilica owes the military victory of Louis XIII at La Rochelle in 1628. After defeating the Huguenots (as well as on supported the Huguenots English), the king decided to immortalize the event of the construction of the Church dedicated to the virgin. The temple was planned to build the monastery of the barefoot Augustinians near the present street of Petit Père ("small fathers", called Augustinians).

Architect Pierre Le Mouettes has developed a project, selecting the concept of the Basilica, a special type of the temple is rectangular in shape with an odd number of different heights of the naves. Louis XIII personally laid the first Foundation stone of the future Church - it happened on 9 December 1629. The Archbishop of Paris, Jean-françois Gondi (the future leader of the Fronde), consecrated the building.

The building faced financial difficulties: the work due to the lack of money in the Treasury stayed until 1656. Since then, the project has consistently led the architects of the Liberals Bryan, Gabriel Le Doux and Jean Sylvain Maps. Fully completed, the Church was in 1740.

Half a century later, during the revolution, the monastery of the barefoot Augustinians was closed, the Church looted. The building housed the national lottery, according to the decision of the Convention dealing with the drawing of the property fled from France of emigrants-royalist. Some time even here traded securities, but in 1802 Napoleon had issued a decree on the construction of the new Paris stock exchange (Palais Brongniart), and the building at Petit-Pere was returned to the Church.

The Church was located in the business district, it had few parishioners. In 1836 the parish priest, FR Charles Eleanor Dufreche of Destinet, a temple was dedicated to the immaculate Heart of Mary - from this moment on, there began to flock to the pilgrims and believers. In 1927, the Church received the status of "minor Basilica" of Paris.

In the Eastern part of the transept (cross aisle) is a statue of the virgin Mary with the child, to which thousands of people carry their gifts. Here you can see seven large paintings by Charles-andré van Loo, first painter of Louis XV on the life of St. Augustine and the siege of La Rochelle.