/ / Tower Saint-Nicolas: photo description (Tour Saint-Nicolas)

Tower Saint-Nicolas: photo description (Tour Saint-Nicolas)

Tower Saint-Nicolas - one of the three towers, which have been preserved from the fortifications of La Rochelle. They are located in the Old port and is one of the main attractions of the city. These towers were built in the XIV century, and now recognized as a world heritage site by UNESCO.

In the first half of the XVII century, in the era of the religious wars La Rochelle was a Huguenot stronghold and was besieged by Royal troops. The siege ended with the capture of the city in 1628, during which was destroyed fortifications, including the tower Saint-Nicolas, Chain and Lamp (also called tower of the Four sergeants).

Tower Saint-Nicolas is the largest of these towers. It was built to guard the port, and this building was always a squad of soldiers and the commander of the port. Therefore the tower was equipped with a living room. The tower stands on a Foundation of steel I-beams driven into the unstable soil. Each of its floors has a round hole in the ceiling through which the defenders could convey provisions and ammunition.

The tower was renovated twice: first time in 1685, after the upper floor was demolished with cannon shot, and the second time - in the late nineteenth century.

Chain tower nearby, in the Middle ages had a "partner" - a second tower with a smaller size. Between them was prosrochena chain by which it was possible to block the port entrance to unwanted guests. The second tower was destroyed in the nineteenth century, and survived the end of the same century even survived the reconstruction of the top.

Lamp tower "famous" as the place of detention of four young officers-conspirators, who allegedly were plotting a military uprising against the king in the years of the Restoration (first half of XIX century). In the tower of the conspirators were kept until dispatch in the execution. This prison held prisoners, from which the walls of the casemates have been preserved drawings and inscriptions.