/ / Hospice: photos, description (Hospice Comtesse)

Hospice: photos, description (Hospice Comtesse)

Hospice in Lille, which is also called Hospital Countess, appeared in the city in the first half of the XIII century, but till our days the complex of buildings is reached in the reconstruction of the XV and XVII centuries.

The founder of this charitable institution in 1236 became the Countess Jeanne of Constantinople, at that time ruled Flanders. The hospital was built on the site of her Palace and was intended for poor people and pilgrims. Jeanne wrote to the hospital mill in the heart of Lille and the neighbouring village of Vasem, the proceeds of which also went in favor of the poorhouse.

In 1468 the hospital was almost completely destroyed by fire. But four years later managed to restore the premises to the sick, and a few years later and the entire first floor of the hospital. A new fire that occurred two centuries later, destroyed the chapel, which also was quickly restored, and even built a front yard. The structure of the hospital, built in the XV-XVII centuries, in 1923, received the status of national historic landmarks, other buildings of the complex were marked with this status at the end of the twentieth century.

During the great French revolution the hospital was converted into a shelter for the orphaned and elderly, and hospital patients were moved to another medical facility. As the asylum's hospital worked until 1939, and after 30 years within its walls has opened a Museum dedicated to the history, culture and art of Flanders. The Museum is located there at the present time.

The initiator of the Museum by the scientist-ethnographer Georges-Henri river. In the Museum you can see paintings by artists of Flanders, including portraits of the Ducal dynasty, as well as jewelry, tapestries, furniture and other household items. In one of the halls of the Museum reconstructed the interior of the Flemish houses of the seventeenth century.