/ / Bois de Boulogne: photo description (Bois de Boulogne)

Bois de Boulogne: photo description (Bois de Boulogne)

The Bois de Boulogne is probably the most famous green area on the Western outskirts of Paris with a rich history. Today it is one of the "lungs" of the French capital, providing the metropolis with oxygen (the second "light" - Bois de Vincennes in the East of the capital).

The ancient oak forest of Rouvray that once surrounded Lutetia, first mentioned in the annals of 717 years: it is recorded that Khil'derik II from the dynasty of the Merovingians gave the land to the Abbey of Saint-Denis. After four and a half century Philip Augustus Curve bought from the monks the land for hunting. In 1308 another Philip - Beautiful - gave his daughter to king Edward. The wedding took place in the Cathedral of the seaside town of Boulogne-sur-Mer. When he returned, the king ordered to build in the woods, the Small Cathedral Notre-Dame de Boulogne. So the forest got its name.

In the middle ages it was a dubious fame during the hundred years war, settled here many robbers. Fighting that the Duke of Burgundy in 1416-1417 the years part of the forest burned. Louis XI re-planted. When Francis I there was completed the construction of the Royal château de Madrid, the hunting grounds were surrounded by walls. Henry IV tried to establish a silk manufactory here, planted 15000 mulberry trees. His former wife, Marguerite de Valois, after her divorce lived in located here château de La Muet. It was here that on 21 November 1783 the world's first rose into the air in a Montgolfier balloon scientist Pilatre de Rozier and the Marquis d Arland. In 25 minutes they flew over Paris and landed safely.

Since the beginning of the XVIII century the forest became a favourite place of walks of the nobility, but Louis XIV opened it up to all sectors of society. In 1775, the king's brother Philippe of Orleans on a bet with the daughter-in-law Marie Antoinette built here in just two months the Palace of bagatelle (in French une bagatelle is a "trifle"). The Prince won the bet with 900 workers, who worked day and night.

Napoleon III reconstructed the forest: 80 paved miles of alleys, planted 400 trees, made a lake and canals. The forest was landscaped under the direction of the prefect of Paris, Baron Haussmann. Now more than half of all the trees here are still oaks. There are bike paths with length of 14 kilometers, and ten restaurants. In the Northern part of the forest is a children's Park with a zoo.

At the same time the Bois de Boulogne has long had a reputation as hot spots and saves it now is evening and night there work prostitutes.