/ / Burgundy gates: photo description (Porte de Bourgogne)

Burgundy gates: photo description (Porte de Bourgogne)

Burgundy gate, built in the middle of the XVIII century, was part of a larger project on the improvement of Bordeaux, who conceived and implemented the mayor, the Marquis de Tourny. Their construction lasted from 1750 to 1755, in the same period in Bordeaux there are several parks, alleys and squares are also decorated with several gates, which were monumental arched structures. Only in Bordeaux, there are eight gates-arches. In the middle of the XVIII century was also built, for example, the Aquitaine gate and gate Dizho.

The Burgundian gate in Bordeaux is also known under the names "arch of triumph" and "the Gates of salt workers". They are located near city landmarks like the Stone bridge and the place Victor Hugo and close to the promenade Richelieu and about a kilometer from the Cathedral Saint-andré.

The construction of the Burgundian gate was led by the architect ange-Jacques Gabriel, known as the author of the stock Exchange square in Bordeaux, the Small Trianon in Versailles, and the North wing of the Louvre was the principal architect of the Royal court. Initially, with the two sides adjacent to the gate has two arches of smaller size, however they were demolished in the early nineteenth century. The gate was built in the form of a classical triumphal arch with two Doric columns on each side, without unnecessary decorative frills.

The name of the Burgundian gate was named in honour of Louis, Duke of Burgundy and brother of three kings of France - Louis XVI, and XVIII, and Charles X. the Gate was built at the entrance to Bordeaux on the road leading from Paris. Some time the gate was called the arch of Napoleon - a name change was timed to the visit of the Emperor in Bordeaux in 1808, which, by the way, neither the city nor its inhabitants did not like.

The Burgundian gate in Bordeaux have the status of a historical monument of France since 1921.