/ / Gates Cayo: photo description (Porte Cailhau)

Gates Cayo: photo description (Porte Cailhau)

The goal Cayo (or Cello) - two possible origins. According to one version, it comes from the Gascon word calhaus ("rock"), and the second from the surname of a noble family, Kelo, several of whose members even became mayors of Bordeaux in the XIII-XV centuries.

Gates Cayo located a short walk from the Cathedral of St. Andrew. In the Middle ages, this gate was the main entrance to the city. The road on which they stood, led to the Palace which was the residence of the Dukes, and then passed the Assembly sessions. In the late XVI and early XVIII centuries, the Palace burned several times. In the XIX century it was decided not to rebuild, and finally to demolish and build in its place a square called the Palace.

Cayo gate was built to commemorate the victory, which king Charles VIII won in 1495 the Italian army at the battle of Fornovo. The gate is decorated with several statues, among which are the statue of Charles VIII. Also next to the gate there are statues of John the theologian and the Archbishop of Bordeaux cardinal d in Epernay, who was also present at the battle and was in the Royal rate.

Despite clear signs of defensive structures, which are present in the form of gates (Windows, skylights, protrusions and serrated grating, the image can be seen more elegant architectural ornaments, decorative arches, graceful towers, the medallion is the coat of arms with lilies, supported by two angels. The architectural style of the gate Cayo combines elements of Gothic and Renaissance. The height of the gate with a spire on the Central tower is 35 meters. In 1822, were held the restoration of the gate, during which to be restored bas-reliefs were removed and placed in the Museum of Aquitaine.

In 1883 the gate Cayo was awarded the status of national historical monument.