/ / The gates of the Port-de-La-Kraf: photos, description (Porte de la Craffe)

The gates of the Port-de-La-Kraf: photos, description (Porte de la Craffe)

Port-de-La-Kraf is a gate in Nancy, the only surviving part of the medieval city fortifications. They were built in the XIV century, after the area Nancy has increased, including due to the absorption of the two nearest to the town villages.

Currently, the appearance of the gate is different from their original appearance. The fact that the gate was twice reconstructed in the XVII and XIX centuries. Now Port-de-La-Kraf is a two round towers with cone-shaped roofs, connected by overlapping, in the bottom of which is an arched doorway. In the Middle ages the gate was a significant fortification guarding the city the warriors could shoot arrows through loopholes and pouring on the heads of enemies hot oil. According to the destination gate, the Port de La Kraf was used repeatedly during the battle of Nancy, helping to repel the attacks of Charles the Bold, who died in one of them in 1477.

The name of the gate appeared in the XV century, but its importance is still not solved. According to various versions, it can be connected with the old French word "shell" as the image of the shell could be seen among the decorations of the gates, or it could be from where the collected scrap. It is also known that near the gate settled patients with leprosy. Also among the features and decorations of the gate it is worth noting the figures of ravens, which had a functional value - they were fixed shutters, the image of the cross, bas-reliefs and an inscription with the name of the gate and date "1336", as well as sculpture of the virgin Mary with the Baby in a shallow niche above the arch.

For some time the gates of the Port-de-La-Kraf has served as the city jail.