/ / Grand Opera: photos, description (Grand Opera)

Grand Opera: photos, description (Grand Opera)

Grand-Opera - Paris Opera so called rather by inertia. Now it bears the name of its Creator, architect Charles Garnier (Opera Garnier). But the merit of the appearance of the magnificent Palace of the arts are largely owned and the project proponent to Emperor Napoleon III, and reformer of Paris, Baron Haussmann, successfully entered the building in the largest transport interchange.

Construction began in 1860 and was faced with enormous difficulties. The first of these was an underground river under the Foundation. But let the construction is not only nature. In 1870 came the Franco-Prussian war, Napoleon III fell into Prussian captivity, the Empire collapsed in Paris included the Prussians, was proclaimed Municipality. The unfinished building became a military warehouse on its roof is the aeronautical station.

However, in 1875 the theatre, dubbed the National Academy of music, opened. Contemporaries were amazed by the splendor of the building, which has become the standard of eclectic architecture (Beaux arts). The huge foyer was done in the style of the front galleries of old castles. The auditorium in red and gold tones, reminiscent of a horseshoe, was illuminated by a huge crystal chandelier. The Grand staircase, a stone of rare beauty, has become a favorite place for the fashion show a select audience.

For its time, the theatre was a technologically advanced facility. Special battery gave electricity its mechanisms, the hydraulic system provided water views. Painting and sculpting was performed by the best artists and sculptors of France. In 1964, the ceiling of the auditorium repainted by Marc Chagall.

In the Grand Opera were remarkable Opera premiere: "William tell" by Rossini, "don Carlos" Verdi, "the Favorite" by Donizetti. Here was singing of Caruso, Chaliapin, till, at the beginning of the XX century was the performances of the Diaghilev's enterprise.

The opéra Garnier is the thirteenth Paris Opera. For a long time it was called simply Paris, but in 1989, after the opening of the Opera Bastille, the theatre got its present name. Today, both temples of art are included in public and commercial enterprise, "the Paris national Opera (opéra national de Paris).