/ / Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy: a photo, a description (Palais des ducs de Bourgogne)

Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy: a photo, a description (Palais des ducs de Bourgogne)

The main part of the buildings included in the complex of the Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy in Dijon was built in the XVII-XVIII centuries, but the architectural ensemble, there are earlier buildings. Each part of this complex represents the different stages in the life of the Duchy and its rulers.

The oldest of these is the lordly tower, which was started in 1365 during the reign of Philip the Brave. This tower housed the chambers of Philip himself, beautifully furnished and richly decorated. But there were times when the tower served as a prison for prisoners of noble birth. Another tower was built when Philip the Good, who ruled Burgundy from 1419, and was therefore named after him. Its height is 52 meters.

Dijon, the Palace was the residence of the Dukes of Burgundy and even some became a memorial for some of them. If the remains of Philip the Good buried in the Cathedral of Dijon, the tombs of Philip the Brave and Fearless Jean are stored in one of the rooms of the Palace, the Hall of Guardians. Gravestones were moved to the Palace of the former tombs of the Dukes of Burgundy in Anmol monastery based in XIV century by Philip the Brave, which also became the founder of the Duchy of Burgundy. Tombstones were made by the sculptor Klaus Lutera, who was also the author of the decorations of the buildings of the monastery Anmol.

Currently, the Palace was placed in the walls of the municipal Museum of fine arts, which was founded in the late XVIII century. And shortly before the opening of the Museum, the building also housed the Dijon school of drawing. This is one of the oldest museums of France, in the meeting which holds works of art ranging from ancient Egyptian. Special mention deserves the rich collection of Flemish and French painting.