/ / The Palace of the kings of Mallorca: photos, description Palais des rois de Majorque)

The Palace of the kings of Mallorca: photos, description Palais des rois de Majorque)

The Palace of the kings of Majorca - the residence of the rulers of this medieval state, whose capital was the city of Perpignan. The will of the king of Mallorca, Jaime (Jean) II Perpignan became the capital in 1276. Currently, the Palace is said to be among the main attractions of the city. It was built in the southern part of Perpignan.

This castle was built in Gothic style in the same XIII century to king John II. Its construction was completed in 1309. Later the Palace became part of a well-fortified city fortress, so the castle and is now surrounded by strong and high walls and a moat. Enter the castle through the Barbican - an additional, detached fortification, which was another protective measure taken to heighten the tranquility of the inhabitants of the castle.

The fortress itself is a complex of buildings among which the old bell tower, the two chapels, the upper and lower, and the tower of Honor. In the chapels there are works of sacred art, stained glass paintings and mosaic (in the upper chapel of STE-Croix) and a statue of Mary Magdalene (in the lower Saint-Madeleine). In the upper part of the tower of Honour of the Royal visitors of the Palace ascend in order to look at the entire complex of the fortress from the height and also enjoy the panoramic view of Perpignan. Also during the visit of the Palace you can walk along the fortress walls.

The castle was created a small but cozy patio, and next to the moat was surrounded by gardens. In the XIV century in the castle there was a menagerie, which contained large predators. Inside the castle you can see the throne room and the Royal apartments, the dining-room.

At the beginning of the XVI century, during the siege of the city part of the Palace was destroyed. But after joining Perpignan to France in 1659 in the Royal residence housed an army garrison. The first visitors to this landmark in architectural and historical sense, the construction took only in the XX century after the Second world war.