/ / The Palace of Parliament of Brittany: photos, description Palais du parlement de Bretagne)

The Palace of Parliament of Brittany: photos, description Palais du parlement de Bretagne)

In 1994 at the Palace of Parliament of Brittany was a major fire during demonstrations fishermen, grew into a clash with police on the roof of the Parliament dropped flares, and the building caught fire. The damage to the building could be smaller, but due to large concentrations of people fire for hours could not get us closer to the Palace. The building was restored, but the Grand chamber deliberately left traces of the fire. From 1804 to the present time, the Palace houses the city court of appeal.

The Palace was built in the first half of the seventeenth century, the Breton Parliament, which met there until its dissolution in 1790. Over time, the Palace became one of the symbols of Rennes. The author of the original draft was Germain Gaultier, but later the project was almost completely redesigned by Solomon de Brosse.

For the Palace was chosen as the style of French mannerism, which came from the Italian tradition, which replaced the Renaissance. The building was rebuilt several times, and in the first half of the nineteenth century, even took apart one of his wall so the courthouse could enter the police cars with defendants. The roof of the building is decorated with an allegorical image of Law, Justice, Eloquence and Power. On the balustrade depict the coats of arms of Brittany and France.

The interior of the Palace is also abundantly decorated with coats of arms, tapestries and paintings, created in the XVII century. In finishing the interior was also used gilded wood. Before the fire 1994 bearing structure of the building was made of wood, but in the subsequent restoration they were replaced by metal.

The first floor of the building previously served as a prison, therefore, it does not find any features or interior decorations, and in here was only possible from the back yard. But the second floor was considered on the floor of the nobility, and was decorated accordingly.

In front of the Palace square by the architect Jacques Gabriel. It was a statue of Louis XIV, demolished during the revolution.