/ / Palace of justice photo, description Palais de justice de Metz)

Palace of justice photo, description Palais de justice de Metz)

The Palais de justice in the French city of Metz, located in the North-East of the country, in the Lorraine region, was built in the late XVIII century. He now serves as the main judicial authority of not only the city but of the whole of the Department of Moselle.

Interesting story of the erection of this monumental structure. In the middle of the XVIII century, the influential Manager of the three bishoprics of Lorraine - Verdun, Metz Tulum and was appointed Marshal of Belle-île. Inspired by the ideas of the Enlightenment, he decided to rebuild the Mets in a classic style. Urban planning was engaged by the famous French architect Jacques-françois Blondel began a massive building in 1771, was built a new town hall. And in 1777 was laid the first stone of government House, which later became the Palace of justice.

The place for construction was chosen at the border of Metz, near circuit city fortifications that were destroyed during the Nazi regime in the forties of the XX century. Head of construction was Charles-Louis Clarissa, the founder of French Neoclassicism. The material was yellow Sandstone, from which were built many other buildings, including St. Stephen's Cathedral. In connection with the beginning of the French revolution, work was suspended - the facade of the building was long left unfinished.

Held in Metz not far peaceful protests have caused irreparable damage to the still unfinished building was destroyed some of the sculptures and bas-reliefs on the rear facade of the building. But pretty soon the Palace was occupied by the provincial administration and then to the revolutionary Tribunal. Only when came to power, Napoleon Bonaparte, the building was converted into the Palace of justice. The opening ceremony took place in 1812.

The building is designed in the form of the Latin letter "U" and consists of three wings surrounding an interior courtyard. Their facades are decorated with simple yet elegant stucco - it is worth noting the sculptural group on the pediment of the "France watching over your children." The sides there are the statues of mythological characters - the hero Hercules and goddess of wisdom Minerva. In the courtyard are monuments in honour of military and political figures in the country.