/ / Rohan Palace: photos, description (Palais Rohan)

Rohan Palace: photos, description (Palais Rohan)

The building where currently is located the city hall of Bordeaux - built in the second half of the eighteenth century Bishop's Palace. It is also called the Rohan Palace, as the initiator of its construction was the Archbishop Ferdinand Maximilian de Rohan, the Confessor of the Empress Josephine and a representative of one of the most influential Breton birth.

Interestingly, to enjoy the beauty and luxury of the Palace of the Bishop of Rohan, in General, did not. The construction of the Palace was completed in 1784, and three years earlier, Rohan was appointed Archbishop of Cambrai and moved there. In Bordeaux he lived from 1769, and almost immediately started the reconstruction of the old Palace of the Bishop. The construction of the Palace became a Church, the city Treasury, and the Rohan costly. To create the project he was the architect from Paris, then was disappointed in it and changed the capital of the architect Josefa Etienne local architect Richard-françois Befana works include Exchange square and the fountain de La Grave. The construction of a three storey building in the style of "Neoclassicism" has exhausted the possibilities of the Bishop and the city "budget" and forced the Archbishop to invest their own money - he had to sell part of the land to Fund further work.

Over the years of its history, the Palace was adapted for different needs, including the building of the revolutionary Tribunal, and also increases its rank to the level of the Palace of the Imperial and Royal. In 1835 it housed city hall and is there to this day. The quarter round the Palace called the quarter of the town hall. In the Palace Park, founded in the nineteenth century, the premises of the Palace was transferred to the Museum of fine arts.

In the middle of the last century a decision was made to conduct a large-scale restoration, and not a Palace, but the whole quarter. Was planned the restoration of 12 historic structures and the construction of 300 new buildings, as well as the separation of pedestrians and cars. All these measures helped to turn the quarter in the administrative and business centre of Bordeaux.

The building is located in area of Ne-Berlin close to the Cathedral and the city's bell tower.