/ / The Palace of the Soubise: photos, description (Hotel de Soubise)

The Palace of the Soubise: photos, description (Hotel de Soubise)

The Palace of the Soubise, a small ancient mansion situated in one hundred and fifty yards South-East of the Centre Pompidou. An amazing contrast is seen between these two buildings of different eras.

On the site of the Palace in the XIV century the constable of France, Olivier de Clisson, nicknamed one-eyed man built his capital residence. It is on the Rue des Archives was only a fortified gate with two turrets on the sides the impression that he moved here the piece of a medieval fortress.

In 1553, the residence became the property of a kind of Guise, who decided to completely rebuild the mansion. From those times left in this Palace, the chapel and guard the hall (it was held the meeting of the Catholic League, fought with the Protestants). It is possible that here had been planned the massacre of St. Bartholomew. Then Marie de guise was founded in the mansion of the great theatre, which was attended by the great playwright Corneille, composer Charpentier, poet and novelist Lhermitte.

In 1700, the mansion was bought by a Breton Baron Francois de Rohan, Comte de Rochefort, Prince of Soubise. He was again completely rebuilt receiving a new name for the Palace, leaving only the old gate on the Rue des Archives. From that era mansion got the interiors in Rococo style - in fact, this man was born. During the revolution of Rohan fled from France, in 1808, the state bought the mansion, Napoleon was put here for public archive. In 1867, when Napoleon III, on the basis of the archives into a Museum of French history.

In the Palace of the Soubise is the main part of the Museum's collection illustrating the history of the country's most interesting documents. One of a series of collection called "Iron wardrobe": it leads its beginning from the special box, made by decision of the Constituent Assembly for storing plates, from which printed paper money. Soon this same box went to the original Constitution of France, its decrees and laws, the will of Louis XIV and Napoleon. Also in the collection of the state seal, diplomatic documents, and evidence in major court cases, historical relics.

The Museum occupies today a few houses in the centre of Paris. The exposition of the Palace of the Soubise is open any day except Tuesday.