/ / The Palace-Museum of fine arts: photos, description (Palais des beaux-arts de Lille)

The Palace-Museum of fine arts: photos, description (Palais des beaux-arts de Lille)

Palace of fine arts in Lille is one of the largest and oldest museums of France. Its history began in 1792 with a small art gallery, which was arranged by local artist Louis Watteau in one of the halls of the Academy of painting. Louis Watteau was known as a popularizer of high art - he taught painting at the free school and suggestions about the opening in the Lille Museum of fine arts, where paintings and sculptures could meet everyone.

The first exhibition consisted of 30 paintings that were confiscated from various religious institutions - churches and monasteries. After the artist's death in 1797, the activity on creation of the Museum was continued by his son françois Watteau, also an artist.

Museum of fine arts in Lille was established only in 1809, in the framework of the decree of Napoleon, on the promotion of art, in which Lille was chosen as one of 15 cities in France. In these museums were transferred to art works confiscated from the clergy. The Lille Museum has received about five dozen paintings by such eminent painters as France, Italy, the Netherlands, among which were paintings by Rubens and Tintoretto. In addition, the Museum has occupied the former chapel of a Franciscan monastery Recolle.

In 1824, the Museum exposition was supplemented by archaeological finds - sculptures, coins, medals and ceramics. The Museum was opened Department of archeology and numismatics. Ten years later the painter Jean-Baptiste Vikar gave the Museum a rich collection of drawings by Italian artists of the XV-XVIII centuries, among which were made by the hand of Raphael.

At the end of the XIX century, the Museum moved to a new building, built in the style of "Belle Epoque architect Edouard Fernand Berard and Delmas. It is located in the centre of Lille at the Republic square. In the second half of the last century the building was renovated and declared historical monument. Next to the Museum erected a modern building, so the area of the Museum has increased by several thousand square meters.