/ / Invalides: photo description (Les Invalides)

Invalides: photo description (Les Invalides)

Invalides is one of the most magnificent architectural ensembles of Paris, connecting pyatisotletny the Esplanade of the bridge of Alexander III. Began the history of this treasure with the almshouse for veterans of wars.

Until the seventeenth century, crippled and aged soldiers in France eked out a miserable existence. In 1670, seeking to strengthen the army Louis XIV approved the construction of nursing home for retired soldiers.

The project was designed by the court architect the Liberals the He. The suburban plain of Grenelle grew up a huge building with a Grand façade with a length of 196 meters and a town of barracks with a closed system of courts. The largest of them, "court d'honneur", was intended for military parades. A chapel for veterans, the elderly He helped build a talented Jules Hardouin-Mansart.

Soon, Louis XIV ordered built in the complex personal Royal chapel, and Mansart, inspired by the Roman Basilica of St. Peter, created a masterpiece. In the center of the ensemble is a magnificent Church in the classical style. Her gilded striped dome with a diameter of 27 meters rises to a height of 107 meters. The Central part of the facade of St. Louis Cathedral dedicated Doric columns on the second tier, the Corinthian. The portico is crowned with the statues of Louis IX and Charlemagne. Inside the Church drew the attention of a enormous dome fresco painted by Charles de La Fosse, of St. Louis, composing his sword at the feet of the Savior.

The construction of the complex was completed in 1676, it housed four thousand veterans. Life in the town flowed by the strict regulations of the disabled kept in the company under the command of officers who worked in the workshops (shoemaking, from tapestry, engravings).

In 1789, the revolution in Paris began with the fact that the crowd attacked the House of invalids in search of weapons - the veterans themselves opened the gates. In 1804 Napoleon on the lavish ceremony was presented here the officers of the first Legion of honor. Gradually, the nursing Home has also acquired features of the Museum. In 1777 moved here collection of layouts of cities and fortresses (now the Museum of plans and reliefs), in 1905 was created the army Museum here is the Museum of the order of Liberation (world war II and Charles de Gaulle).

The architectural ensemble plays the role of the national military Pantheon: here is the tomb of Napoleon. In the crypt of the Cathedral lies the tomb of the Emperor, carved from red quartzite Russian. The Invalides are buried many illustrious generals of France: the Vicomte de Turenne, Ferdinand Foch, Philippe Leclerc, Jean de Lattre de Tassigny. Next to them is the author of the "Marseillaise" of Rouget de Lisle and the heart of the great military engineer Marquis de Vauban.

The glittering dome of the Invalides became one of the main landmarks of Paris. Tourists are attracted by the brilliant architecture, unusual interior of the Cathedral in the nave hung banners of France of different ages, captured weapons on display opposite the Invalides. However, the complex is not just a Museum-there are about a hundred veterans under the supervision of the State Institute for the handicapped.