/ / Dominican monastery: photos, description (Couvent des dominicains de Collioure)

Dominican monastery: photos, description (Couvent des dominicains de Collioure)

Dominican monastery - one of the attractions of the town of Collioure, located in southern France in the region Languedoc - Roussillon, on the border with Spain. In this area, the Catalan language is spoken even more than the French. This is not surprising, because until 1659 this area was considered Spanish territory. The first mention of the settlement dates back to the year 671, and even then, Collioure was a strategically important trading centre.

The monastery was founded in 1290 by order of the king of Mallorca Jaime II, also titled the count of Roussillon. It was built on a small plot of land, between the mountain range and the sea coast, apparently, so the Church is not oriented to the East, in violation of Church Canon.

Among the remaining buildings in the monastery stand out powerful ancient defensive walls and the main Cathedral, consecrated in 1457. It is believed that its original building was constructed in the early fourteenth century along with the rest of the monastic buildings. However, the town suffered greatly during the war between the kingdoms of Majorca and Aragon in 1344, and then followed by the devastating earthquake of 1428. Most likely, the temple was rebuilt after this natural disaster.

The Cathedral is a Gothic masterpiece yuzhnorusskoe and is characterized by massive buttresses, built for defensive purposes. The Church has a single nave with a length of 42 feet, the transept is missing. The sides previously housed in six separate chapels, but now only five have survived. The ceiling is of vaulted construction. It is also worth noting the building's main façade facing the city. It is decorated with graceful arcades and details of white marble.

The cloister was completely destroyed during the French revolution, its reconstructed copy is presented in the city Museum. Each arched gallery of the courtyard consisted of four columns.

Other monastic buildings, located to the North of the Cathedral, almost did not survive. You can see only some stone and marble buildings, the remains of arches and columns. To restore this architectural ensemble is not possible. He is now serving as the town's wine cellars.