/ / Bishop's Palace: photo description (Palais du Tau)

Bishop's Palace: photo description (Palais du Tau)

The Episcopal Palace is one of the attractions of the French city of Angers, located in the West of the country in the region pays de La Loire. Earlier it was the capital of Anjou, of the County and served as a strategically important centre. The town stands on a tributary of the famous river of Loire, on the river Maine.

The first Bishop of Angers, was elected in the year 372. Itself the Bishop's residence has existed at its unchanged location - close to Cathedral of St. Mauritius since the IX century. Modern building belongs to the XII century. Interestingly, as a Foundation for the walls and towers of the Palace was still the ancient Roman fortifications of the third century, moreover, the castle is located on the site of the Roman gate of Anjou, who served as the main entrance to the city in that era.

The Palace is made of different material: emit Sandstone, shale and tuff. The building is designed in the shape of the Greek letter "Tau", which is not typical for French architecture. However, the sign "Tau" has a great symbolic value in Christianity it is believed that the cross on which Jesus was crucified Christ, were made exactly in this form. The lower floor of the building was reserved for office space, and the main halls, including a hall for holding diocesan synods, located on the top two floors. Under the roof is also a few living rooms. It is also worth noting the kitchen, made a rather unusual - in the form of a circle.

From the XII century Bishop's Palace was rebuilt several times. In 1438, there appeared a spacious hall, which houses the library, and in 1508 was completed the monumental main staircase leading to the main hall, which, however, remained unfinished until 1864.

In the XVII century the hall for the Synod Assembly was attached to the arcade galleries, and in 1751 was slightly altered ancient round kitchen. In 1861-1864 years the Palace was added a new wing, and the whole building had to change, to maintain the required proportions. Unfortunately, in the course of time was lost decoration of the Northern facade of the building. However, despite the restructuring, the Episcopal Palace at Angers is a real architectural masterpiece, amazingly preserved from the XII century and escaped destruction during the French revolution.

Now it houses the Museum of religious art, which opened in 1910. Among its exhibits, notably the fine antique tapestries.

Since 1907, the castle is under state protection and is a monument of history and culture of France.