/ / The castle of Amboise: photo description (Chateau d'amboise)

The castle of Amboise: photo description (Chateau d'amboise)

Embassy Royal castle located in the French Department of Indre-et-Loire. The castle is located in the eponymous city on the Loire river.

During the Roman Empire, at this place stood a Gallic fortress. Before the beginning of the VI century, the Loire valley was occupied by the Visigoth tribes, and four centuries later the city of Amboise came under the control of the Viscount of Orleans Ingelger, whose lineage goes back to Hugh the Abbot. Thanks to its political connections of Ingelger added to his possessions still Angers and Tours. After his death the castle was inherited by his son Fulk I the Red, who managed to expand their holdings to include Loches and Vilandra. Amboise also thus served to protect the Eastern border of the territory. Since the beginning of the XII century, the castle belongs to the genus of d'amboise.

In 1431 the castle's owner, Louis d'amboise was convicted of plotting against one of the confidants of king Charles VII. He was sentenced to death, but the king pardoned the convicted, and confiscated in 1434 his land. From this point Embassy the castle became a Royal residence. In 1495 king Charles VIII hires two Italian architects Domenico da Cortona and fra Giocondo, who reconstructed the castle in the style of Renaissance architecture. Embassy castle was the first building in France, made in this style. The king also invited the Italian gardener, Pacello de Mercogliano, which is arranged on the upper terrace of the castle garden with flower parterres and fountains, and soon these gardens spread throughout France.

In Ambassa castle spent his youth, the grandchildren of Charles VIII - the future king Francis I and his sister Marguerite of Angouleme. The castle then belonged to their mother, Louise of Savoy. Even after becoming king, Francis spent much time in his favorite castle, and at the end of 1515 he invited the great Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci to live in the castle Clos-lucé, which was not only adjacent, but are connected with Aboutskin castle underground passage. It is believed that Leonardo died in Amboise in 1519 and is buried in the chapel of St. Hubert, attached to the castle in 1491-1496. the Relief above the entrance to the chapel depicts the scene of the hunt of St. Hubert, and on the tympanum, created in the XIX century, depicted the king and Queen of France Charles VIII and Anne of Brittany. The stained glass Windows of the chapel are modern, they represent scenes of the life of Saint Louis.

In Amasscom the castle from the childhood to the future king of France Francis II and his bride, the Queen of Scotland, Mary Stuart.

After his death in 1559 the father of Francis of king Henry II Protestant Huguenots decided to seize power in the country, stealing the young monarch, who was then in Amasscom the castle. The conspirators stormed the castle on 17 March 1560, but their forces were defeated, and more than 1200 people were executed. March 12, 1563 in Amboise was signed the peace Treaty between the Prince of condé and Catherine de Medici, ending the first Huguenot war in France. But after this plot, the Royal family left Embassy castle.

In the beginning of XVII century the castle passed to Gaston, Duke of Orleans, younger brother of Louis XIII, and during the Fronde 1648-1653. the castle was the prison where he was later detained the disgraced Minister of king Louis XIV, Nicolas Fouquet. In the late eighteenth century, king Louis XV gave Ambassy castle as a gift for his Minister the Duke of Choiseul. During the French revolution and later under Napoleon Bonaparte, the castle was almost completely destroyed.

In 1840 the Ministry of culture of France turned on the castle in the composition of monuments of history and culture. King Louis-Philippe began the reconstruction of the castle, but in 1848 following the February revolution, the monarch had to abdicate, and Embassy the castle became state property. In November of the same year in the castle was sent to the Emir Abd al-Qadir, who for 15 years had fought against the French for the independence of Algeria. Here he lived under the supervision with the family until Napoleon III ordered his release in 1852. In 1873 Embassy the castle passed into the hands of the heirs of Louis Philippe, and in 1970 became the property Fund of Saint Louis created by the descendants of the last French king. The castle was repeatedly subjected to numerous reconstructions carried out in and after Nazi occupation in 1940.

The interior of the castle created in the Gothic style, in the style of the Renaissance. For example, in the guardroom placed the chests and pieces of furniture made of oak in the XV-XVI centuries, and the Council chamber - the largest room in the castle is adorned with two fireplaces - in the style of Gothic and Renaissance, respectively. The hall is also decorated with coats of arms of Anne of Brittany and the ceiling is the monogram of Anne and Charles VIII. On the walls hang portraits of the kings of the dynasty of Bourbon - Henry IV and Louis XIII.

Of particular interest is the bedroom of Henry II, the interior of which is made in the popular style of this king. The room also presents a chest with a false bottom and on the walls hang tapestries from Brussels and a Tour of the XVI-XVII centuries.

Apartments of Louis-Philippe show the later style, for example, his bedroom is decorated in the style of the first Empire. The furniture is made of mahogany and on the wall hangs a portrait of the parents of the king - the Duke and Duchess of Orleans. In the office of the king is also a portrait of his mother. Portrait of the king hangs in the music room, decorated in the style of the era of the restoration of the monarchy and is also furnished with mahogany furniture. Among other portraits worth mentioning, and a portrait of the Emir Abd al-Qadir, who lived in Amasscom the castle right after king Louis-Philippe.