/ / The castle of Blois: photo description (Chateau de Blois)

The castle of Blois: photo description (Chateau de Blois)

The Royal castle of Blois is located in the French Department of Loire and cher. The castle is located in the same city and served as the residence of many French kings. The castle is also famous because here, in 1429, the Archbishop of Reims blessed Joan of Arc in battle with the British.
The castle consists of 564 rooms, 100 of which were bedrooms, and each room is a fireplace. Of the 75 stairs use only 23.

The oldest premises of the castle - the Hall of the States General, which was built in the early thirteenth century. This hall is also the largest of the surviving premises, executed in the Gothic style. In feudal times in this room were held the court, and in 1576 and 1588 years here was held the meeting of the States General.

The medieval castle of Blois was built in 1391 by order of Duke Louis of Orleans, brother of king Charles VI. Then the castle went to be with the son of Louis - Charles of Orleans, who was in English captivity after the battle of Agincourt in 1415 and was imprisoned for 25 years. Carl was a famous poet and much loved native of Blois, and before his return from captivity, the castle was rebuilt slightly. Son of Charles Louis became king of France Louis XII, and during his reign the castle of Blois became a Royal residence. At the beginning of the sixteenth century, the king ordered to restore the main entrance to the castle and break the huge Italian-style garden, which stretched up to place Victor Hugo and the modern railway station building. The garden was destroyed in 1890 during the construction of the Avenue Victor Hugo.

Wing of red brick and gray stone is the main entrance to the castle, surmounted by an equestrian statue of king Louis XII. Stucco decorations and spires indicate that the building is made in Gothic style, but some small details, for example chandeliers made in the style of the Renaissance.

When in 1515 the king of France, became Francis I, he and his wife, Claude decided to move to the castle of Blois, and therefore had a small makeover. Was a new wing and a library. However, when in 1525 Claude died and Francis since never been to Blois, the Royal library was moved to the castle of Fontainebleau. A new wing built in Italian Renaissance style, and a distinctive feature of this building is a huge spiral staircase, decorated with bas-reliefs and overlooking the courtyard of the castle.

At Blois castle lived the king of France Henri III during the wars of religion, and here he convened the States-General in 1576 and 1588. Just on the General States, held in December 1588, at the castle 45 the Royal guards killed the main enemy of the king - Duke Henry of guise. The next day in the dungeons of the castle, was killed and his brother Louis, cardinal de guise.

Then at Blois castle lived king Henry IV, and after his death in 1610 the castle was a place of exile for his wife, Queen Marie de Medici. Their son king Louis XIII in 1626 gave the castle of Blois as a wedding gift to his brother Gaston of Orleans, who in 1635 began the creation of another wing. However, in 1660 Gaston died, and the castle was abandoned. The building was finished by the famous French architect Francois Mansart. The new wing, located just in front of the wing of Louis XII, characterized by imposing columns of different orders at its center.

During the French revolution, the castle of Blois has been empty for more than a century, so there is nothing to prevent the revolutionaries to plunder. The castle itself had intended to raze to the ground, but then he decided to use as barracks.

In 1841, king Louis-Philippe turned on the Blois castle in the monuments of culture and art. Under the direction of French architect Felix Duban were carried out restoration work: was re-painted walls and beamed ceilings. Since then, the castle started to function as a Museum. Particularly popular hiding place for poisons Queen Catherine de ' Medici, however, historians believe that there were stored items of special value. Now the castle is owned by the city of Blois.