/ / The castle of Hyeres: photo, description Chateau d'hyeres)

The castle of Hyeres: photo, description Chateau d'hyeres)

Lock yer standing on top of a mountain with a height of 198 meters, towering above the commune of Hyeres, located in the region Provence - Alpes - Cote d'azur in the South of France. It was once an ancient Greek colony, which grew subsequently in the strategically important port, and then the town became a fashionable resort, one of the first in the famous French Riviera. At the time, stayed here the English Queen Victoria and the Silver age poet Georgy Ivanov.

The castle itself was built in the XI century, but preserved only partially and at the moment represents, basically, ruins. Most likely, the first fortification appeared here immediately after, from present-day Provence and were expelled the Saracens in 972-973. The first mention about the castle and around it grew up the village belong to 1062-1075 years.

In 1254, the fortress was stopped returning from the Crusades, king Louis IX of France a Saint, and three years later these lands were granted to his younger brother Charles I, count of Anjou. Since 1481 Hyeres became part of the Royal personal possessions.

The city of Hyeres has remained aloof from the religious wars of the XVI century, but after the coming to power of Henry IV, the owner of the castle rebelled against the new king and was besieged by the Royal troops. After a five-month siege the fortress was taken, it was ordered to destroy as punishment for disobedience. This intention made the successor of Henry - his son Louis XIII. In 1620 the castle of Hyeres was destroyed and was not recovered.

This building was considered one of the largest feudal castles in Provence. Now there is the main fortifications, including many half-ruined gates and towers, built in the XIII century. Remains of the outer court of the castle where you can see traces of wells, and fortifications, including a drawbridge, thrown over the moat with a depth of 4.5 meters. The main donjon tower was completely destroyed in 1620.

However, despite the fact that the fortress remained only ruins, it continues to attract many tourists. And in the XIX century here in search of inspiration came various writers and poets, including George sand.