/ / The castle of Meung-sur-Loire: photo, description Chateau de Meung-sur-Loire)

The castle of Meung-sur-Loire: photo, description Chateau de Meung-sur-Loire)

The castle of Meung-sur-Loire notable for the fact that is one of the oldest in the Loire valley, it's pretty well preserved. In addition, a castle, a former prison, known as one of the places of detention of the thief and poet françois Villon.

Villon, who combined assault craft and poetic creativity, was imprisoned in Meung-sur-Loire in 1461 for another theft, but soon with the other perpetrators received Amnesty on the occasion of the coronation of Louis XI, passing to the place of ceremony in Meung-sur-Loire. On the prison period in the history of the castle reminiscent of the plaques with descriptions of methods of torture and devices for them.

The castle is located near collegiate Church. Even in the I century on this place the Abbot of Life founded a monastery and was headed by him until his death, and afterwards was canonized. The castle was built much later, in the XII century by order of the Bishop of Orleans. In the next century, his successor extended it, and as a result of this conversion doubled the number of towers, there was dungeons and room for the guards.

In the years of the hundred years war, which lasted from 1337 to 1453, the castle was captured by the British, then was retaken by the French soldiers under the command of Joan of Arc. The following conversion takes place in the XVI century, in this period, it is appear the entrance tower and the Eastern block. Then, until the XVIII century, the castle was in ruins.

In the XVIII century, the castle experienced a revival thanks to the disgraced Bishop Louis de La Bruyere, which was held in the castle for 16 years and decided to make his own little Versailles. At Bruyères in the castle there was a chapel, a pavilion in Greek architecture, has expanded the area of the Park.

After the French revolution, the castle from the ownership of the bishops of Orleans turned into private ownership. With the 70-ies of the last century is its restoration. Despite such a long period of time, for the visits is only about a quarter of the rooms of the castle.