/ / Château de Saumur: photo, description Chateau de Saumur)

Château de Saumur: photo, description Chateau de Saumur)

The Saumur castle is located in the homonymous town in the French Department of Maine-et-Loire. It towers over the confluence of the rivers Loire and Thouet.

The castle was built in the X century, the count of Blois Theobald I, to protect themselves from the raids of the Normans. In 1026 the Saumur castle passed into the possession of the count of Anjou, Fulco Black, who in turn, passed it to his heirs - founders of the Royal Plantagenet dynasty. In 1067, the castle was destroyed, it was restored only in the end of the XII century by the decree of the English king Henry II.

In the beginning of XIII century the king of France Philip II Augustus annexed the property to his Royal domain, making it part of their personal possessions.
In 1227 by king Saint Louis IX even strengthened the castle, and in 1367 the grandson of king Philip VI was replaced with the round tower on an octagonal fortress. In the XV century the castle was restored a little Good Duke Rene, who also erected the fortress of Tarascon, located in the South of France.

The Saumur castle is depicted in a unique manuscript of the XV century "the Magnificent book of hours of Duke Berry" - namely the miniature of "September" from the cycle "the seasons". To accurately determine the artist's impossible, but it is believed that authors are the Limburg brothers and Jean Colombe. The painting presents a collection of grapes from the southern facade of the castle of Saumur. The castle itself is depicted as looked around 1410.

In the XVI century appeared the idea of a new fortification - and a deeper bastions and curtain walls. It is worth noting the uniqueness of this project is to implement this plan was only great military architect Wabano a hundred years later.

In 1589, king Henry IV of Navarre gave the castle to one of her companions - Philippe Duplessis-Morne. But soon the castle was abandoned. Since 1621 it housed a barracks and arms depot, and then in the time of Napoleon Bonaparte - there is housed a prison.

In 1862, the castle of Saumur became part of the monuments of culture and art of France. In the early XX century, the city authorities became owners of the castle and began restoration work. Now the castle houses several museums: decorative arts, horses, antique toys and figurines depicting the French kings. To visit also opened the dungeon of the castle and its watchtower.