/ / The castle of Chaumont-sur-Loire: photo, description Chateau de Chaumont-sur-Loire)

The castle of Chaumont-sur-Loire: photo, description Chateau de Chaumont-sur-Loire)

Château de Chaumont is located in the French Department of Loire and cher. The Chateau is located in Chaumont-sur-Loire, between Blois and Amboise. The castle was built in the style of a medieval castle with elements of Italian Renaissance style. The name "Montmartre" comes from the French phrase "chauve mont", which translates as "naked top".

The first castle building was built in the X century, ed I, Comte de Blois to protect his lands from the encroachments of the count of Anjou Fulke III during feudal wars. But later the castle of Chaumont five centuries went to seniors d'amboise.

The last owner of the castle this kind of Pierre d'amboise rebelled against the king and was defeated, as punishment, Louis XI confiscated his land, and in 1465 was ordered to destroy the castle. But in the same year, the castle began to build again. Re-construction of the castle of Chaumont ended in 1510.

In 1560 the castle was purchased by Catherine de Medici, where she hosted a variety of astrologers, including the famous Nostradamus. When in 1559, her husband died, king Henry II, she demanded that his mistress Diane de Poitiers had left the castle of Chenonceau - a gift of Henry and moved to Chaumont, however long she lived here.

In 1594, a descendant of Diane de Poitiers, the Marshal de Bouillon sold the castle of Chaumont wealthy tax collector Largentiere. In 1667, the castle passed on to seniors de Rouffignac, and in 1699, to the Duke de Boville Field, who repaired the castle. In 1700 it was Duke Philip of Anjou, the future king of Spain Philip V. But after a few years the castle of Chaumont was once again sold, its new owner at this time was Rittmeister (state Secretary) of king Louis XV berten. At the same time and destroyed the North wing of the castle, built in the early XVI century, as berten wanted the castle looked directly out on the river.

In 1750, the château de Chaumont was purchased by the Jacques-donatien Le ray, called in France the "father of the American revolution. He used the castle as his country estate, making here even a pottery factory and glass blowing workshop. Despite the fact that Le ray supported the American revolution, he opposed the French, and because in 1789, his land was confiscated.

In 1810 the castle lived a famous French writer, Madame de Stael, and in 1833 the castle was purchased by count d Aramon, who conducted extensive restoration work. He also arranged a Museum of medieval art in the tower of Catherine de Medici. In 1840 Chaumont was included in the list of monuments of culture and art.

In the beginning of XVI century the castle was made a series of tapestries on which were depicted Chaumont and its surroundings. Until 1851 they were in the bedroom of Catherine de Medici and is currently in the Cleveland Museum of art in Ohio, USA.

In 1875, the castle of Chaumont acquired Marie-Charlotte Say, heiress of a wealthy French financier Leon say. By order of her husband in 1877 near the castle was built sumptuous stables, the castle was renovated and around it was a Park in the English style.

In 1938 Madame Sy gave the castle to the care of the state. Now in the Chaumont castle is a Museum and the castle hosts an annual international garden festival.