/ / Castle Urtube: photos, description (Chateau d'urtubie)

Castle Urtube: photos, description (Chateau d'urtubie)

Castle Urtube is located in the small French commune Wrung on the border with Spain. This area is part of the historical region of the French Basque Country.

This squat fortified Fort was built in 1341, was repeatedly rebuilt over the centuries, and, most surprisingly, it still owns the same ancient French family, and in the XIV century, at the time of construction of the castle.

However, the mention of the first Siniora Urtube dates back to 1120, but a private residence, they had not. Resolution on the construction of his own castle is preserved, this document, dated 4 may 1341, was signed by the king of England Edward III, - it will be recalled that at the time Aquitaine was considered British territory. From that period preserved the donjon, part of the North fortress wall and two towers are all that remains of the medieval fortifications.

In 1463 the castle was stopped for the king of France, Louis XI with his son, the future king Louis XII. Subsequently, the young Dauphin has maintained a close relationship with Mr. Urtube, and in 1505 allowed him to build his residence. Then there was a two luxury rooms and a powerful tower with an ornate spiral staircase.

In the XVII century began the modernization of the castle was re-built chapel added graceful Dormer Windows, also replaced the roof. To 1743 were all demolished medieval fortification, and in their place were there is a beautiful landscape Park, designed in English style. On site were terraces and orangery, and it is also worth noting the elegant Park staircase in the style of Louis XV. The garden is famous for its ancient plane trees and other plants it should be noted Magnolia trees, symmetrically planted in the eighteenth century, hydrangeas and all sorts of varieties of roses.

Chapel of the XVII century was refurnished in 1912. Greenhouse XVIII century, now serves as the location of various plants, common in the Basque Country, including the famous olive.

Among domestic premises it is worth noting the dining hall of the XIV century, located in the donjon. As a large salon used one of the old halls 1505, and another room the same time became a VIP room. The small salon located in a new, very small South wing, built in 1743. Now these spaces presented by the Belgian tapestries of the XVI century, made the old Testament stories. The furniture and decor of the rooms refers to the XVIII-XIX centuries.