/ / The castle of Ussé: photos, description Chateau d Usse)

The castle of Ussé: photos, description Chateau d Usse)

The castle of Ussé is located in the French Department of Indre-et-Loire. The castle stands on the edge Shimanskogo forest and rises above the Indre river.

First inhabited this territory of the Gallic and Roman tribes, the remains of burial mounds from the era. Ussé, the city appeared in the VI century and was an important strategic post, guarding the road to Chinon.

The first fortress, surrounded by Palisades, was built in 1004 Mr. Ussé. Then the territory was ceded to the counts de Blois, in 1040 built a stone castle here. In the XV century, lying in the ruins of the castle of Ussé was purchased by Jean V de Belem, the famous French military figure who became Seigneur Ussé in 1431. The restoration of the castle began in the year 1440. With 1456 Mr. Ussé was his son, Antoine, who in 1462 he married Jeanne of Valois, the illegitimate daughter of the king of France Charles VII and Agnes Sorel. After receiving a large dowry, he has held a number of restoration works, during which the castle was rebuilt in accordance with the style of the XV century. But in 1485, Antoine eventually went bankrupt and was forced to sell the castle to Jacques d Espine.

Jacques d Espine, a Breton, who rose to the rank of Chamberlain in the kings Charles VIII and Louis XII, continued to improve the castle. In 1521, the castle of Ussé was built a Church which later became the ancestral burial d Espine. And in 1538 was built the Church of St. Anne.

The USSE castle changed many owners, including and Duchess Suzanne de Bourbon, and the Duke Henry of Savoy. In 1664 around the castle was a Park created by the famous French landscape architect andré Le nôtre. The castle was reconstructed and acquired features typical of the style of the XVI-XVII centuries.

At the junction of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in the castle of Ussé often stopped by such personalities as military engineer Marquis de Vauban and the writer Charles Perrault. It is believed that this castle is described in the famous fairy tale "Sleeping beauty". In the XVIII century the castle was stopped, and the great Voltaire, he wrote the poem "Henriade".

In 1807 the castle was acquired by the family of Duras. In March 1813, the castle secretly met the Cavaliers, including representatives of the noble families Tremul and de Montmorency. They discussed the possibility of restoring the Bourbon monarchy.

In 1817, near the chapel of the castle of Ussé was planted a cedar of Lebanon, brought from the Holy Land by the French writer Chateaubriand, a friend of the wife of the owner of the castle. The writer also often stayed here and worked on his memoirs "Sepulchral notes".

Near the main stairs is a portrait of the king of France Louis XVIII that the king himself gave the owners of the castle. In 1835, on the restoration of the castle was created by renowned Swiss architect Duelen.

Founded in 1885, the USSE castle belongs to the Dukes de black. Since 1931, is considered a monument of culture and art.

The castle of Ussé is made in two architectural styles - from the middle Ages and the Renaissance, and some elements relate to the period of Classicism. The Park around the castle was laid out during the reign of Louis XIV by the famous French landscape architect andré Le nôtre.

Among the rooms of the castle are especially of particular interest is the guardroom, which is a huge hall of the XV century, located at the entrance to the castle. The ceiling of the XVII century in the Italian style made of artificial marble. Now in the hall houses a collection of Eastern, particularly Indian weapons, brought in the XIX century by count Stanislas de black, Indian military. In front is a Syrian chest of cedar, which presents the figures of ivory, depicting Indian monuments, including the famous Taj Mahal. Also in the hall you can see a collection of Chinese porcelain and the genealogy of the family of de black.

Even from the interior of the castle should be noted and the salon Vauban. It was previously a medieval chapel, but in the seventeenth century this room was transformed into a Cabinet. Of particular interest is the Italian secretaire of ebony, consisting of 49 secret drawers. The rest of the furniture in addition to so-called "Bureau Mazarin" (XVII century) belongs to the Regency era (XVIII century) and specially made wheels to make it smoother to move. The walls of the salon are decorated like Brussels tapestries depicting scenes from the Biblical stories about David and Goliath, and portraits of Madame de Maintenon (mistress of king Louis XIV) and writer Chateaubriand. Over the fireplace hangs a picture of "Belshazzar's Feast" of the XVII century.

Another series of Brussels tapestries is kept in the Grand gallery connecting the East and West wing of the castle. There is also a copy of the bust of Louis XIV Bernini's authorship.